WGSDG (KSDI) was created after the 2019 Moscow Congress to support the efforts of the INTOSAI community in achieving SDGs.
It is the successor of the INTOSAI Working Group on Key National Indicators (WGKNI) that started its activities back in 2007 and was designed to share knowledge among SAIs related to instruments of measuring economic and social progress in achieving national goals.
Through its activities the WGKNI largely contributed to the INTOSAI community and developed the following documents:
- White Paper on KNI
- International Experience In Development And Use Of Key National Indicators
- Guide to Terms and Concepts
- Guidelines for the use of key national indicators in performance audit
- Principles for SAI’s application of KNI
- The review in the field of key national indicators describing the processes of knowledge-based economy and society
- Analysis of opportunities on the use of KNIs for international comparisons in the context of sustainable development
- Methodology on the Key National Indicators selection for the use in SAIs activity
The ultimate outcome of the WGKNI was the creation of the Guidance on audit of the development and use of key national indicators, which was approved by the FIPP as GUID 5290 (see the “Analytical Materials section at the web-site)
The latest meeting of the Group held in April, 2019 in Bratislava decided to refocus its activities in line with the long-term priorities of the INTOSAI community. The adoption of the 2030 Agenda calls for thoroughly coordinated action within the organization. The WGKNI has proved itself as a platform for developing practically-oriented instruments for measuring progress in achieving national goals, which had to be used in the context of INTOSAI efforts in supporting the implementation of SDGs.
This is how the WGSDG KSDI saw its birth. It first meeting is to be held in March-April 2020 in Minsk, Belarus and identify the priority activities for the upcoming period.